Camp Earth Connection 2010

Camp Earth Connection 2010
Skiing at Camp

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Life on Hammond Hill
Hello again. I thought I would share a bit about living at Hammond Hill in the Winter. For those of you who know the camp, you know that I live in a cabin on top of the hill. My plan was to move all the camp animals up by my cabin to make it more convenient for me to feed and care for them. But...the chickens and ducks never made it up here. Every day I take a walk down to the camp to bring water to the birds and feed them. Today I was a bit grumpy about it, feeling cold, and wishing I could just sit by my wood stove and be warm (not that I really do that-but I do think about it frequently.) I also remembered I needed to somehow get 100 pound of grain down to the birds. So on went the snow pants and boots and wool hat! I pulled my trusty orange sled over to the truck and loaded the 100lbs of feed; pulled the sled to the top of Hammond Hill Rd, sat on top of both feed bags and zoomed down the hill, feeling quite childlike and remembering why I loved living here! The birds got fed and watered, and as I walked up Hammond Hll Rd and then into my 500 foot driveway...once again I remembered why it is a blessing to live on Hammond Hill. R It was about 5:30 in the evening and the sun had set, leaving a bright orange horizon and a beautiful view of the fields, and the forest. This site never fails to bring tears of gratitude to my eyes. I am so fortunate to be able to live in a place which reminds me of how amazing our planet is, and that I am a part of it.
Peace,
Susan

Visit the Camp Earth Connection web site.

No comments: